[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(COOLLIST) The Discs, They Are a Spinning

I was just thinking of the CD's to which I've been listening lately.
Here are some of the ones that I'll listen to over and over.  That
surely means something. (Which reminds me of the design team I was in
for two quarters back at GaTech.  We called ourself DMS, which was an
acronym for "Dirty Mutant Scum".  In a meeting with a "important"
person from which we were trying to snarf data, he asked us what DMS
meant.  I replied, really without thinking, that "DMS Means
Something".  The "new" official expansion stuck and we ended up with
an A for the quarter.)

1) Nanci Griffith, _Flyer_.  This Austinite straddles the far left of the
   country spectrum, falling more often into the folk-rock tradition.
   Great southern twang to the voice, progressive and thoughtful lyrics.

2) Sam Phillips, _The Indescribable Wow_.  Her first album after escaping
   the oppressive CCM market, Sam takes on materialism and relationships
   with T-Bone Burnett, her husband, adding a great production.

3) Moby, _Everything is Wrong_.  I already described this one.  I still
   play it at least once a day.

4) Thomas Dolby, _Astronauts & Heretics_.  Whimsical ("Silk Pyjamas")
   and tragic ("Close But No Cigar") from a synth diety.  While I love all
   of his songs, this one is my favorite.

5) Everything But the Girl, _Amplified Heart_.  Sure, "Missing" gets
   a lot of play at the dance clubs, but it deserves it.  The rest of the
   album is a bit mellower, but just as poignant.  This is quite the
   underrated duo.

6) Shawn Colvin, _Fat City_.  She sings folk.  She sings rock.  She
   sings great songs.  She plays great guitar.  "Photographs", the
   title track, always gets me.  Enough said.

I'm interested in your selections... cool lists will be posted to (COOLLIST).
--
Benjamin L. Combee (combee@techwood.org) <URL:http://www.yak.net/combee/>
that public-access-TV-making, video-game-collecting, cryptography-pushing,