[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(COOLLIST) Snow Crash, Pager Flash

I've gotten a few comments about my story.  They are mostly good with
a few suggestions of how things could work differently.  I'm not
going to alter it very much now, however.  A slightly revised version
is in my virtual Notebook <URL:http://www.yak.net/combee/writings/>.
I'm currently working on the idea for another story, this time about
computer game addiction and murder.

Neal Stephenson writes neat stuff.  I've been reading _The Diamond
Age_ for a while now, getting a few pages in a day.  Its a fascinating
look at human society transformed by the power of nanotechnology.  It
is a bit different than _Snow Crash_ or _The Big U_, two earlier
novels of his... it seems more mature but it remains a lot of fun.  I
have a mystery novel by him on my shelf, waiting for my book queue to clear.

Similarly, my exploration of Rudy Rucker and his artificial
intelligence flavored SF is on hold until I finish _TDA_.  I really
enjoyed _The Hacker and the Ants_, and I'm told that _Software_ and
_Wetware_ are great cyberpunk novels.  I can't wait.

Other stuff I'm reading included the local newspaper where I learned
that Pepsico, through their Mountain Dew brand, is going to distribute
500,000 Motorola pagers this summer to anyone who sends in 10
proofs-of-purchase and $30.  They will work for six months, then you
can continue if you want.  In the six-month free period, you will be
paged once a week with Pepsi's toll-free number to call for
promotions.  It seems like an interesting thing, and its definitely a
cheap way to get a pager.

Last Sunday, a woman I met told me that I had "great energy".  The
comment was unexpected, but I really enjoyed getting it.  I think we
all should strive to have great energy.  I know many of you that do.

Bliss y'all!
--
Benjamin L. Combee (combee@techwood.org) <URL:http://www.yak.net/combee/>
that public-access-TV-making, video-game-collecting, cryptography-pushing,